Tuesday, April 19, 2011

HAWMC Day 19 - Relations**t


How did relationships with other people help inspire you to take care of yourself?

I’ve written about diabetes and relationships in the past in a Participant’s Point of View post for DSMA (you can read it here) so I’m going to do my best not to repeat myself too much.

The point blank answer to this question is, simply, they didn’t.

My desire to take care of myself, however, inspired me to end the toxic relationships I had in my life. To this day, I am not close with anyone I was close to before my diagnosis. Wanting to take care of myself inspired me to surround myself with people who wanted me to do the same. The people in my life at the time of my diagnosis saw my diabetes management as something that took my attention away from them; the people in my life now do what they can to help me with my diabetes management in small ways (ie: I’m never more than 5 feet away from a juice box) and completely understand that even doing something spur of the moment takes a good 15 minutes of packing/planning on my side of things.

I will definitely say that above all, my relationship with my parents has inspired me to continue taking care of myself. They’ve somehow perfected the art of knowing when I need encouragement and knowing when I just need my space and don't want to talk about anything related to diabetes. At the time of my diagnosis, my parents would’ve given anything just to help me finally figure out why I was so sick; now that we have the answer, they’ll do anything to help me stay healthy and build whatever kind of a life I choose for myself.   

This includes but is in no way limited to pilfering root beer barrels from any and all candy dishes to add to my emergency sugar stash.

“This post is my April entry in the DSMA Blog Carnival.  If you’d like to participate too, you can get all of the information at http://diabetessocmed.com/2011/april-dsma-blog-carnival/

2 comments:

  1. As much as I hate that the friends you had when you were diagnosed weren't supportive to you, I'm so glad that it lead you to end those bad relationships and find people who really care about you and want you to be healthy and happy. Thank you so much for sharing again - I can't imagine it's very easy to think about all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that initial, Karen!! :)

    With time, it's definitely become easier to think about and talk about this. Each time I do it makes me feel even more blessed to have found the people that I've found since my diagnosis - especially the D-OC!

    ReplyDelete