Sunday, April 1, 2012

HAWMC Day 1 - Time Capsule

Remember that time last year when I posted 30 days in a row during finals? Remember that it was a challenge and by some twist of luck, I won? Well it's back with more participants that I can count. If you want to take part, go here to sign up. If you want to read the entries, be sure to check out the FB page and the daily prompt postings up on the WEGO Health Blog for all the fun!

(And for the record, I have 3 weeks left in the semester only this time I have 4 classes, 2 clinical days a week, and have to be up by 5 am M-F. It's called The Health Activist Writer's Month CHALLENGE for a reason, right?)



Now that all of that's out of the way, time to get down to business and tackle today's prompt:


Health Time Capsule. Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you and your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of it when they found it?

In 100 years, I hope, *hope* finding a time capsule about diabetes will be greeted with a dumbfounded look and no clue as to what diabetes is because it was cured years before. Hoping that's the case, I'd include a list of urls for my favorites diabetes blogs so the openers can get educated. Granted, blogging will be an archaic form of writing 100 years from now (they'll probably have a talk to text Etch-A-Sketch that automatically inputs the info into everyone's brains. or, erm, something) but they'll still have access to ye olde internet. Kind of like the way we could still use dialup if we were forced wanted to. 

I'd include my very first meter. I can't imagine how small they'd be by then if they're still needed. 

I'd include a receipt from the first trip to the pharmacy after diagnosis - lizard spit, strips, lancets, pen needles, alcohol wipes, a meter, and glucose tabs. Not a small bill. Not at all. 

I'd include a copy of my MCAT scores. I sat for that exam less than 3 months after I was diagnosed. If diabetes is still around, I'd want whoever opened the capsule to know that if diabetes is a part of their lives, they can do this

I'd include an array of pictures from various D-Meetups to show that family goes beyond DNA and the initial "hey, your beta cells ran away, too?" conversation connects people faster than anyone would ever believe without experiencing it themselves. 

And of course, I'd include a picture of me and my love. Someone I probably never would have met if diabetes wasn't a part of our lives <3

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to refer them to the YCDT project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. blessings to you
    from Angela (mom to two kids with t1 diabetes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley, so glad the WEGO challenge has brought me to your blog! I've got T1 diabetes too and its always fantastic stumbling across a fellow blogger. (Looks like our capsules would be very similar!)Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete